Google Rating
Based on 146 reviews
FAQs - Little Learners Early Education | South Morang Child Care

Answers For You


Why does Little Learners ask for the 3.5-year-old Health Assessment?

The assessment allows educators and families to identify and focus on developmental areas that your child may find challenging or ascertain that your child is exceeding their developmental norms.

We may be able to use this information and contact specialists if required and develop an individual early intervention program based on the needs of your child.

To book an assessment, call Mill Park Lakes Maternal & Child Health Centre on 03 9404 8888, your last MCH, or your family GP.

For more information:

I need extra help with my child's development, who should I call?

We have a partnership with Melbourne City Mission through which you can access trusted professionals to support your child’s development.  An initial meeting can take place right here at the Little Learner’s centre.

We know how daunting this process can be for parents.  On your behalf or with you we can contact them. Little Learners endorse Melbourne City Mission as we know and them to do only the best for our families.

If you are looking for a speech pathologist, occupational therapist and/or child psychologist, our contact at Melbourne City Mission is Sally Moore – 0437 675 643

Northern Kids Hub, located at 27B, 797 Plenty Road, South Morang and on 03 9717 8194 for Psychology, Occupational Therapy, and Speech Pathology

Alternative options:

You can find a comprehensive list of allied health professionals locally and around Melbourne by going to:
• Speech Pathology Australia – Find a speech pathologist
• Australian Psychological Society – Find a psychologist
• Occupational Therapy Australia – Find an occupational therapist

I don’t have time to take my child to an appointment, can Little Learners help?

One of the most challenging parts about getting support for your child is finding the time to take them to their sessions. However, you don’t have to stress!

Little Learners accommodates parents and can take your child to their session, be with them during the session and then relay the information, strategies and progress to you, allowing for continuousness between therapy, care and home.

How can I access NDIS?

If you do not have a medical diagnosis of a disorder, disability, developmental delay, or other developmental concern, then we can help you during this process.

Our documented observations can be insightful for medical professionals in helping them understand your child and their needs.

We are more than willing to assist you in any capacity, e.g. assistance in completing forms, providing supporting paperwork, and attending appointments with you and your child if needed.

We recommend the following two NDIS providers:

• Melbourne City Mission – Sally Moore – 0437 675 643
• Contact Brotherhood of St Lawrence – using this referral form.


    I have difficulty communicating with Educators because my English isn't good, can you help me?

    If you are a parent having difficulty communicating with educators due to language difficulties, please let us know.

    We will find an educator who speaks your language as we have access to bi-lingual workers at fkaCS (FKA Children’s Services) who can support you to settle into our service and build relationships with our staff.  You can contacted directly on 03 9428 4471, or we can contact them for you and arrange a time that suits you for them to visit.

    You can also access multicultural resources on the members-only section of the fkaCS website.

    To gain member-only access email me at for log-in details.

    What is a Child Care Subsidy (CCS)?

    Child Care Subsidy (CCS) is an income-tested payment and recognised activity that reduces the cost of your total child care fees.  Available for parents, foster parents, and grandparents with a child in their care.  The CSS is paid directly to providers to reduce the fees you pay.

    For more details click:

    What is a CRN number?

    Centrelink provides a Customer Reference Number (CRN) to access Child Care Subsidy support.

    Made up of nine numbers and one letter the CRN is generated by Centrelink and without it, you will have to pay full fees.

    When you enrol your child at an approved child care service like Little Learners, you’ll need to provide your CRN and birthdate, along with your child’s CRN and birthdate. 

    Each child will need their own CRN, so if you have two children going into childcare each will need a CRN.

    To apply for your CRN go to your nearest Centrelink service centre:

    Please note: that should you call Centrelink on 136 150 you may experience 1 – 2 hour delay that can be very frustrating.

    For more information:

    Why is Kindy Better Than Sessional?

    The Kindergarten program is designed to equip your child with the skills needed to transition smoothly to school and will support them throughout life.

    Taught by degree-qualified early childhood teachers, the Little Learners Early Education is a recognised Government-funded approved 3 and 4-year-old kindergarten program.

    These programs are integrated into the long daycare hours and provide families the flexibility to work.

    As a long-daycare centre, our Kindergarten operates from as early as 6:30 am until 6:30 pm. If you are also going away for an extended family holiday, you still pay for your child’s position, however, you can apply for a 40% gap fee reduction.

    Why are two Kindy years better than one year?

    As with 4-year-old Kindergarten, our program for 3-year-olds is taught by degree-qualified early learning specialists and aligns with the Early Years Learning Framework.

    A quality kindergarten program will have more of an impact on children who start at age 3 rather than aged 4. That extra year at Kindy provides a child with the opportunity to become more socially adept, better able to cope with their emotions and develop stronger attention skills.

    A great kindy program for 3 year old’s will lay the foundation of literacy and numeracy through play-based learning.  The program inspires curiosity, discovery and building healthier pathways academically and socially.

    As a child transitions into 4-year-old Kindy, they apply the skills they’ve acquired through play into a more focused learning.  This ‘scaffolding’ of skills and learning creates better learning habits, develops greater literacy and numeracy capabilities, and advances emotional resilience.

    What is the difference between sessional and long day Kindergarten?

    We understand it’s essential to find the kindergarten program that works best for your child and family.  The kindergarten program is offered to both three- and four-year-olds and are partially funded by the Victorian government, which helps Little Learners to keep fees low and helps run the exceeding program.

    The same approved kindergarten program is offered to children in both Little Learners long daycare and sessional kindergarten program. This means your children will benefit from the best in early education teaching including preparation for school, social development and language, literacy and numeracy skills, all with a strong focus on individual development and emotional resilience.

    Essentially, the only differences between a long daycare program and a sessional program are the hours offered and the allocation of days within the timetable.

    Sessional kindergarten is 15 hours a week of play-based learning that is available over set days and hours. Sessional Kindy is great for families with flexible work arrangements and doesn’t require care outside of regular school hours.

    Whereas the long day kindergarten program operates for 52 weeks each year even on public holidays. This is very convenient for working families whose other commitments mean they need care for more hours each week.

    With long day kindy children enjoy added experiences outside of the sessional kindergarten program. Children are better prepared and equipped for any school interview, and we focus on exceeding all school requirements.

    Children regularly mix with their younger peers and have the opportunity to take on mentoring roles. Research has shown that these interactions have many benefits for children.

    This is a great choice for families who have more than one child in care, as you will be able to keep your kindergarten-aged child and their siblings together.

    What's a 'My Health Record'?

    My Health Record for you and your family is a national online record that lets you control your health and your family’s health information securely, in one place.  This means your family’s health information is available when needed, especially useful in an emergency.

    My Health Record will hold details about your family’s health in one location and includes things like tracking your child’s development, scans, x-rays, test results, vaccinations, prescriptions, referral letters between medical professionals, surgeries, health conditions, and allergies.

    It is particularly useful for pharmacists to check your child’s prescription history if needed.  It can also contain information from Medicare including the Medical and Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) which provides low-cost prescriptions for some people.

    With regards to privacy, once you have created a My Health Record, you decide which health professionals have access to you or your child’s health information.  You control your privacy by limiting who has access to specific information about you or your child.

    For more information on privacy and how to control access to your records, visit Control access to your record | My Health Record.

    To register for My Health Record ensure firstly that you and your child are registered for Medicare.  If you have not yet enrolled in Medicare or are unsure if you are eligible click here.

    You will also need to have a myGov account which you will then link to My Health Record.


    Follow these steps to register:

    Step 1:   Create a myGov account or sign in to your existing myGov Account.

    If you don’t have a myGov account, go to myGov and click ‘Create an Account’ and follow the steps to register. Use this link to help you get started: Create a myGov account.

    Step 2:  Once you have accessed your myGov account, scroll to ‘My Health Record’ in the ‘Link a Service’ list. Then click the Link button for ‘My Health Record’.

    Step 3:  Verify Your Identity using your Medicare details.


    Alternatively, if you would prefer to speak to a person, then call the Helpline on 1800 723 471.

    If you are not eligible for Medicare, you can still get a My Health Record.  This involves applying for an Individual Healthcare Identifier, or IHI. Once you have received your IHI you may register for My Health Record via myGov.

    Click Here to learn about getting a My Health Record without Medicare.

    Enquiry Form

    Leave your details and we will get in touch soon

      I would like to receive Little Learners Village via email every month

      Translate »